Have you ever felt like your bathroom light fixtures need to be thrown in the trash, but you’re too afraid to do something about them.
If you’re normal, that answer is a resounding yes.
This was true for me with our first house and I remember exactly why I had these feelings.
What if I get started and can’t finish?
What if I mess up the wiring?
What if …
I was letting my fears get in the way of this simple update. And as a consequence it was preventing me from doing other improvements with the bathroom.
Now here’s the good news.
Anyone, and I mean anyone, can replace an old drab bathroom light fixture. Today, I’ll share several tips I’ve learned over the years that I wish someone would have told me about. The key to this project is believing in yourself. Then your mind will open up the possibilities of doing more DIY. Which then leads to you fulfilling your dream of having a remodeled home you love and can take pride in.
But the first step could be simply changing out your bathroom light fixture.
If you’re looking to get your bathroom back to the future then watch this video. And yes, there is a Doc Brown reference at the end — so make sure you watch the whole thing.
Here’s a quick step-by-step summary to help you:
- Turn off the power at the breaker or fuse box
- Take off the olf glass sconces and light bulbs
- Unscrew the old fixture’s nuts
- Remove the fixture and test the electrical wires with a voltage detector
- Undo the hot wires, then neutral wires, and finally the ground wire
- Replace the old mounting bracket with the new one
- Wire the ground wire from the light to the mounting bracket
- Wire the neutral wires then the hot wires
- Add the light to the wall and secure it with the decorative nuts
- Add the sconces, tighten the sconce nuts and insert LED light bulbs
- Turn on the power at the breaker box and enjoy the fruits of your labor
Today’s project should take you anywhere from 30-60 minutes. I really want you to take action on this one if your bathroom needs a facelift.
Also, if you’re doing a bathroom remodel you might like our free ‘Guide to a Bathroom Makeover in 10-Days’. There tons of great tips in it
Thank you, as always, for reading, watching, and adding your awesome ideas to the conversation.